Kyron's Big Day at the Hospital

As a parent you never want to imagine anything bad happening to your child. Especially anything that requires them "going under the knife". This wasn't a major surgery by no means, but it did require that my 3 year old to under go anesthesia to have a tonsillectomy and have adenoids remove, so that made my wife and I a little nervous.  All you can do in this situation is pray, pray and trust in God that everything will be fine. So I just want to take you through this day and kinda give you my take and my perspective of how the day was through words and images.

So one thing about my son is that if he is going on a long road trip or spending the night somewhere or is sick, he doesn't go anywhere without Woody and his "blue blankey" (and lately "bullseye" has been tagging along too.) We needed to do everything possible to make sure he felt comfortable.  Also mommy is never too far from his side as well.  His day started off by waking up at 5am and trying to drink 16 ounces of Gatorade before going to the hospital. Needless to say...that didn't happen. But he drank enough to be on the safe side.  

Kyron was pretty calm about all of this and never seemed to let the situation bother him.  I think mom and dad...well let me back up...I know mom and dad were more worried about it than he was. But as long as he had mommy and Woody he was OK!

I think it really dawn on us that he was about to have his procedure done when they put the ID and information bracelets around his ankle and brought out the lovely tiger medical gown for him to put on.  For me that is when my heart started really racing. With Ky being Ky, he sat there on mommy's lap relaxing and finding some humor in the situation by sticking out his tongue everytime I would raised the camera up to snap a photo (I had to delete a lot of those images..there were way too many) and laughing and telling me, "look dad there are frosting on my yellow socks".  To me that was his way of I'm fine, no need to worry.

All the paranoia, jitters and fright really set in when they came to get him and walked away with him. And my 3 year old gave me a hi five and said "see you later dad, I'm going to go blow up my ballon now".  That was the way the anesthesiologist used the "Jedi Mind trick" on him.  Kyron walked a way with not one ounce of fear. Believe me I had enough for everyone there that morning.

After he is taken back, now the real test of Faith begins.  Everything starts racing thru your mind and your heart beats a little harder...but then I stop I close my eyes from a brief second and pray and then tell God...Thank You.  Then a calmness has come over me. Until they call our name to meet the doctor in consult room 45 mins later, then I freaked out all over again.  The doctor came into the little tennie tiny consult room to tell us everything went well.  WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU FREAK OUT PARENTS LIKE THAT!!! I've seen those movies, they only call you back there for bad stuff, not to tell you everything is ok! But once I heard that he was ok, I was fine.  We proceeded back to the waiting room to wait to be called back to recovery to see him.

The call came and it was time to see our baby boy. The very fearless and tough little 3 year old was NOT a happy camper as you can imagine. He was trying to rip out his I.V. and he didn't know where he was via the anesthesia.  He had blood coming out of his nose and mouth from the surgery. He just knew something wasn't right but then he saw some familiar faces and popped that old tongue out again to let me know he was just fine.

After that tongue showed me he was fine, then I was.  Kyron did pretty well after that. He did vomit a couple of times but they said that was normal.  But believe when I say do not want to see what comes out the stomach after a tonsillectomy and adenoid removal.  YUCK!!

The Coke's the nurse brought to us was perfect. Kyron is a dreamer like all kids that age and he  laid there with his mommy (which is my better half) and ate some apple sauce, had some juice and got to have all the ice pops he wanted while watching cartoon.  That made him very happy. He was comfortable again while laying there with my wife and every now and again lifting up to give me a Hi-Five. He had his parents, he had cartoons and he had Woody.  He knew his was just fine.

Like I said before he did have a few incidents but nothing major.  He was doing his best to be the same old rambunctious 3 year that we loved to death. It's just hard to tell a 3 year old to relax and take it easy when they are always trying to be on the go. For the most part he listened. The real test is when we get home, because the pain medicine they gave him that supposedly makes a person sleepy did the total opposite for him.  It jacked him up! But you can't contain that much energy and love all balled up in a 3 year old.

God makes our kids fragile in so many ways that they truly need us almost all of their lives, but He also makes them extremely strong to be there for us when we need it and I thank God for that.  Kyron showed so much bravery and strength for a 3 year old. Something that I was sure was going to freak him out he stayed strong for. So thank you son for being strong for mommy and daddy on your big day at the hospital. KyKy we love you to the Heavens and back!